Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fabiane’s--Brooklyn

718.218.9632

Odd that I’d post this one so close to my other post of Julienne’s. And I wouldn’t call Fabiane’s even a restaurant per se, though their treats are good enough, and the outside seating is a stalwart of optimal-people-watching/Sunday Times Reading. The food is consistent enough, but not what I think of when I go out for a meal. I grab shit at Fabiane’s when I’m not too hungry.

I do remember it being on my shit list quite a few years ago, though it wasn’t so much what I could get but what I couldn’t, that is substitutions. Dumont also went on a no substitutions bender for a while—and naturally rescinded after my prolonged silent protest. I don’t see the sense of no substitutions. Why can’t I get the sandwich you make to order without ingredient x? Especially when ingredient x forces me into apoplectic shock. The answer is honest but flimsy. Both places claim that when they get busy it just slows down the culinary assembly line and they fuck it up or run out of things. To me thats sounds like your assembly line needs some fixing. Or maybe it's time you rethink the side or sandwich.

Any who, it’s a mute point for me at Fabiane’s (other than a sidebar to broach the subject of substitutions) because I always order the baguette with jam and a coffee. For that dish there is no substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment